Saturday 2 April 2011

House so Quiet...Andrew.. Sugar bush and Theo.. Ice fishing .. Me remembering...


So long ago now but always  clear in my heart! Snow is melting,, but always remains the remnants.

The house is quiet.. Things are not in order yet, but then what is order? Will things ever be the same? What remains is all I have of the grandchildren now that they are meandering over the long road to their home on this white and wintery morning.
Silas aged 22 months is so full of energy and ideas. You can see the little motors running full steam in his sparkling eyes.
Yesterday morning I heard the strangest squelching sound in the living room. Then I heard a slick squishing sound in the kitchen and a quick pitter patter of little feet flying over the carpet into the living room.
Turning from the phone, I saw no one.
I peeked into the kitchen and still saw no one. Then, a little blond sunbeam of a head at the kitchen island counter. Little searching hand reaching waaay up. Flutter flutter. Plop.
Silas.
How could he reach that? How did he know what was there? What was going through his mind?
I rushed over just in time to see him grab a full hand yes.. of shiny yellow slick stuff. A handful yes ..of slippery margarine hanging from his fingers.. I rushed after him but was too slow for his pattering little feet.
Rushing after him in dismay, I followed him into the living room right to Theo’s big green leather chair. He got there before me... His art work was amazing. He slapped his next deposit onto the slippery swirls of shiny yellow margarine coating the entire green chair. Arms moving wildly to finish his handiwork before big nana reached him, he grunted with glee.
I collapsed beside him over come with hysteria. Do I scream or do I laugh? Had I ever seen such handi-work? Such total abandon to the task at hand. Such absolute joy in the tactile experience. ..
Giggles uncontrollably gushing forth, I cleaned Silas off with a tea towel, quickly ran to the kitchen to rescue the margarine, baby slung under my arm. (..so he couldn’t cause anymore delight) Then another towel to erase the evidence before someone decided to lower his fanny on the chair.
Another towel full .. and some paper towels to shine it up. Wonder of wonders the cleaning and conditioning of slick yellow margarine on a green leather chair works deep-cleaning miracles like I’ve never seen before .. And cheap too!
So no, my house will never be the same. Neither will my heart!

No comments: